Iron Range Fourth of July 2017

range_joinordie+copy

PHOTO: United Steelworkers, Flickr CC

PHOTO: United Steelworkers, Flickr CC

It’s time for another Iron Range Fourth of July in Northern Minnesota.

Regardless of economic or political winds, the region always unites for its uniquely exuberant observation of Independence Day, which lasts several days (up to a month) as celebrated in local custom.

Below is MinnesotaBrown’s 2017 Iron Range Fourth of July listing for parades, fireworks displays and street dances centered in the days before and after Independence Day. This list mostly covers the Mesabi Range, Brainerd Lakes, Bemidji and Duluth areas.

You might also enjoy “Things You Will See at Your First Iron Range Fourth of July.”

Most of these towns schedule a wide variety of other events, including races, kids’ activities and live music, too numerous to list here. You will see links where they are available. This Iron Range Fourth of July schedule is a start, for people planning to catch several celebrations or wondering what fits into family schedules during a trip to the Iron Range.

Iron Range Fourth of July

Celebrate the 4th of July in Northern Minnesota

Friday, June 30

Saturday, July 1

Sunday, July 2

Monday, July 3

Eveleth Clown Band (M.C. Morgan, Flickr CC)

Eveleth Clown Band (M.C. Morgan, Flickr CC)

Tuesday, July 4

Looking ahead:

My annual Iron Range Fourth of July listing is designed to be a quick resource for residents and visitors alike. If I’ve missed anything or made a mistake, please let me know in the comments below or by contacting me directly.
If you’re new here, welcome to MinnesotaBrown.com! I’m Aaron Brown, author of MinnesotaBrown.com and the book “Overburden: Modern Life on the Iron Range.” I write a column for the Hibbing Daily Tribune, teach at Hibbing Community College and produce and host the Great Northern Radio Show on Northern Community Radio. My work also appears in places like the Star Tribune, MinnPost, Business North, Minnesota Public Radio and The Daily Yonder.
I use this forum to analyze the news, share features and write commentary about modern life in northern Minnesota. Please subscribe to MinnesotaBrown, like MinnesotaBrown on Facebook and follow my lively Twitter feed.

Comments

1. Tom Roach says:

Thanks Aaron for this info, nice work!

2. Ann Ogg says:

Aaron, thanks so much for this comprehensive schedule! Been searching for the Side Lake Parade time and here you had it all. Great job!

3. Heather says:

Thank you so much for doing this!

4. Let us not forget the performances by the Northern Lights Music Festival which began July 2 and run for the next weeks. The public will see and hear supreme talent representing our region and the world. http://www.northernlightsmusic.org

5. Tucker Nelson says:

For those on Lake Vermilion, Polley’s Resort does the best fireworks show I’ve seen up here, I think! Hundreds of boats around the resort every year. Check it out if you’re in the area!

6. I thought Grand Rapids did their on Saturday nights now. That would have been the second this year.

7. Christine says:

Is there a parade in Bovey?

8. Gilbert has two street dances and no parade on the third like normal?

• The Gilbert evening parade is listed right there at 7:30 on Monday, July 3. There will be fireworks that night. The street dance is July 1. It’s all on there.

9. When is the boat parade ont Cass lake

10. Joe Maynard says:

Thanks for the break-down on the festivals! A.B. 😁

11. Darlene says:

Super Helpful schedule of events!! Thanks so much. I live in Duluth and love joining my Iron Ranger family members….always great celebrations to join them for.

12. Heather says:

This is great! Thank you. Pengilly has a flotilla every year as well, but usually falls before the 4th. They have a parade of boats and pontoons that start near mr. Roberts on Swan lake.

13. Jennifer Sterbenz says:

No parade in Buhl this year. Our Parks and Rec Board reorganized and there wasn’t enough time to pull one together. We plan to make it up by throwing a huge Community Beach Blast party in August! The new Parks and Rec board is phenomenal…..very enthusiastic residents willing to go the extra mile to provide both recreational and social opportunities within the community! Great things are happening in Buhl! Have a safe and happy 4th of July 🙂

Jennifer A Sterbenz, City Clerk-Treasurer/Administrator

• Thank you, Jennifer. I’ve removed the 4th of July parade. If you give me the date, I’d happily add the beach blast to my future events listing. Thanks for pointing it out!