Officials: Maintenance work spark caused Soudan mine fire

A spark from maintenance work that left a smoldering ember on old timbers has been identified as the cause of the fire at the Soudan Underground Mine state park. It appears unlikely that the mine will open for tours this summer. There was no damage at the advanced physics laboratory located deep within the mine. (Story: Duluth News Tribune)


  1. If anyone would like to visit a historical mine the Croft Mine Historical Park in Crosby will be open for business.

  2. Hill Annex in Calumet is also one to scope out:

Speak Your Mind


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.